Free to Use
Provided under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike license (CC BY-NC-SA), you are free to use the lessons either un-scored or scored. Lessons reside on the SoftChalk Cloud servers and can integrate with learning management systems or can be linked from any web page.
There are currently three types of links for each lesson.
|Link Type||For display only||Provides student score||Integrates with learning management system|
If you are not assigning points, use non-tracked scoring links - HTML. If you want to assign points, use one of the two types of tracked scoring links - LTI or Score Center.
Below you will find descriptions of each link option. When you have determined how you'll be using the lessons, use this self-service request form to get the right kind of links.
Non-Tracked Scoring Links
Using a regular HTML link, lesson content can link from any web page. These links are used to demonstrate the content of lessons. A student using lessons this way receives on-screen feedback. However, there is no connection to a score center nor grade book. This is useful as optional, supportive materials in a course and on library pages such as course guides.
When providing a lesson with HTML links, we suggest using a linked image of the lesson's first page or a simple text-based hyperlink. While embedding in a frame is an option, frames tend to slow the page load if you have more than one or two lessons displayed.
Tracked Scoring Links
Lessons can track and report scores two ways, via Learning Tool Interoperability (LTI) links or via SoftChalk Cloud hosted Score Center links.
- One Time Only: Your School Administrator configures the SoftChalk LTI plugin for your Learning Management System. Some schools already have this step completed.
- The Instructor creates a graded assignment and places the LTI link provided by New Literacies Alliance in the external tool configuration box. Instructions for: Blackboard (PDF), Canvas, D2L (PDF)
- The Student signs in to your LMS and clicks on the assignment. This launches the lesson content from the SoftChalk Cloud server. The lesson tracks the scoring and, when the student clicks the submit button, the scoring is recorded in your grade book automatically.
Using LTI links in conjunction with your learning management system (LMS) is the easiest tracked scoring method. Though the process chart shows three steps, step one only happens the first time an institution uses SoftChalk Cloud LTI tools. Thereafter, it takes just steps 2 and 3 to get lesson scores into the grade book.
Note for Administrators: SoftChalk uses LTI version 1.1 or higher, described on page 70 of their Cloud guide (PDF).
Score Center Links
- A NLA administrator creates a Score Center for an instructor and provides a Score Center link to the Instructor.
- The Instructor places the Score Center link on a course page.
- The Student clicks on the assignment. This launches the lesson content from the SoftChalk Cloud server, which asks the student to provide an identifier. The identifier is usually a student ID number, but could be an email or a name. The lesson tracks the scoring in a cloud-hosted Score Center.
- On an agreed-upon date, an NLA administrator manually downloads the scores in a comma separated value (CSV) file and emails the file to the instructor. The instructor can use this file to import scores to a grade book by matching the identifier provided by the student.
A Score Center remains active for one semester. The instructor will need to request a new Score Center each semester.
Cloud-hosted Score Center links require more work than LTI links. However, they are a useful alternative when a school's learning management system does not support LTI.